Saturday 31 May 2014

Berlin Trip 2014- Day 1

If you have read my last blog post, you will know that I was preparing to go to Berlin with school! I went last Friday for 5 night and had an amazing time! From visiting the sites and hanging out with my friends it was a brilliant trip! This is what I got up to! 

Friday-Day 1
I woke up at 6:40 (that is very early for me by the way) and had a quick chat with my mum who went on and on about being safe and looking after my possession extra extra! After a quick bite of breakfast I got changed and made sure my bag was packed! My friend Marie came over as my dad was going to drop both Marie and me of. As she lugged her 19.7 stone suitcase in (yes you heard me right) we both went upstairs and sorted ourselves out. We then headed for school to arrive at 9:00. It was a great feeling knowing that everyone else was in class and we were all on our way to Berlin. Our teachers arrived and then the coach at 9:30! As we got on the coach, most parents stayed to wave goodbye to there kids but  my dad dropped me of and left seemingly happy to get rid of me! We left school and headed for Southend airport! Southend airport is tiny! It was my first time flying from there and I was pretty shocked! It was also deserted! Barely any people were there and with only a couple of check in desks, a tiny shop claiming to be a duty free, a WHsmith and a little cafe it was not the most desirable place to be with a 2 hour wait ahead of us! But I can not complain! It was clean and efficient! Really that is all you need in an airport! After selfies were taken and  food pretty much all eaten it was time to board our flight! It was an easyjet flight to Berlin Schoenefeild. We all got on the plane last and I managed to sit with two of my good friends. The flight was an hour and a half long and I read some magazines and just chilled out! When we arrived in Berlin, we collected out luggage and took a quick 5 minute walk to get the S-bahn (train) to Landsberger Allee station which took about 30-40min. Once we arrived we looked to our left and could see our hostel. The generator. Although in the past I have never stayed in a hostel, from what I had heard they are not great, but I was pleasantly surprised with our one! It was modern, clean and massive! I had visions of a dark, dirty and cramped place but it really was quite the opposite! We sat in the reception/dinning area and got handed our keys and sent to our rooms to unpack! Our room was on the fourth floor, and because everyone had ran to the two very slow lifts, a couple of others and I decided to brave the stairs! Bad idea! Lugging up our suitcases four flights of stairs was hard work but I guess we may have burnt of all the rubbish we ate on the plane.....maybe. Our room (which I was sharing with five others) had three bunk beds, six lockers to put a couple of things in and a little bathroom which was a surprise! I was not expecting a bathroom and although it was tiny (I lifted my leg up in there and hit my knee of the sink which has left a big bruise) I really appreciated having it! We settled in a bit and then headed down stairs at around 6:30 to get dinner at the hostel. It was pasta with a bolognese sauce which although the portion size was quite small was very nice! At 7:30 we all met in the reception of the hostel and headed out for the evening! I'm sure our teachers intention was to tire us out as much as possible so we would sleep that night as we walked so far that evening! While we were in Berlin the weather was excellent except the first and last day! It was poring with rain while we were walking around so we were all quite miserable! We eventually ended up in a beer garden! It would have probably been nice but the weather was so bad it was hard to enjoy! We were given an hour to hang out at the beer garden and while most people tried to buy some beer, three others and I headed out to explore  the streets of Berlin! After trying to find an ice cream place and failing, we settled for a corner shop and bought some ice cream and snacks there! The weather picked up and it stopped raining which was good! We walked back to the rest of our group at the beer garden to find out that none of them got served (haha)! Once we left we had another very long walk! We walked along a tram line which I found out later would have taken us straight back to our hostel but instead we took a lovely two hour walk! Our feet were hurting quite a lot once we got back to the hostel (to say the least)! House rules at the hostel stated that under 16's must be in room by 11:00 and by the time we got to the hostel it was about 11:30! Although we had to be in our rooms, we did not have to go to sleep which was good! That night, we all probably stayed up until about 2:00 in the morning! Probably not the best idea thinking about it now! 



Before we left school


On the plane


The beer garden

Thank you for reading
Please comment any suggestions/feedback
Day 2 coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment